Friday, August 11, 2017

No Work This Week

... and I'm heading back to bummed out.

Let's recap:

  • Four days on set in January
  • Zero days in February
  • Two days in March
  • One day in April
  • Zero days in May (out of town for three weeks because of it, or vice-versa?)
  • Two days, mid-June
  • In July, I volunteered all those days because I needed to fight Depression by being on set. It was great, but I wasn't filling our coffers while doing it. Then, in mid-July, I booked one day... and then three days...
  • and then three more, the first week of August
So, starting with those two mid-June days, rolling into the volunteer days and the rest of July, it felt like maybe #JustMaybe the industry might be turning a kinder eye to me. I'd started doing stuff at the SAG-AFTRA Foundation, working with the Voiceover Lab and volunteering some time for screenings, too. Getting out of the apartment is always a good thing.

Which is why I'm getting bummed out again. I have booked no work this week in the industry (altho I did have a main booth VO session and a screening to donate my time to yesterday).

Most of my week has been spent seeking employment at the pet supply chain where Stephen works.

You read that right, kids. He's been transferred again, back to Burbank, leaving his last boss more severely short-staffed than she'd ever have chosen to be. She needs help out there, in Encino. She already likes me, and my schedule is wide-open (although she's willing to "work around" my acting schedule, which means I'm willing to work a heavy weekend kind of rotation for her, which is a win-win).

So on Monday, I fulfilled the background check requirement, and picked up the application. On Tuesday, I turned in the application and had a little chat with the Boss. My background cleared on Wednesday, so I went to a private lab to pee in a cup for my pre-employment drug screen. At this point, the Boss is just waiting for those results (anywhere from 24-72 hours later, depending on the workload of the lab), so she can offer me a minimum wage part-time position and start date.

Which means I will be employed again, soon. And I'll end up learning almost as much as Stephen has, about the care of your pets. And I'll be working for a woman who completely "gets" that I'm likely to be a fantastic asset, as long as everyone treats me like a temp. I may end up "temping" there, part-time, for the rest of my life, or at least until they try to transfer Stephen back to her. It remains to be seen, obviously. Maybe my VO career will become a "thing", and I'll have access to a good recording studio, and that'll be my "industry" gig, and the pet supply company will become my career! For now, though...

I just need to Book. Some. Work.

6 comments:

  1. Just now getting caught up on your blog. Sounds like you had some interesting adventures on your trip and maybe having some new ones at home as well. I hope this all works out for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been away until just now. I should blog again, and read my peeps again. MIA lately, that's me.

      Delete
  2. I just realized you put up a link to my RickRoll on your site. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so excited to discover it, and to discover Blogger would allow me to link it. It makes me giggle. Not that I'll ever know how many folks see it. ;)

      Delete
  3. Hi! Just popping by, sorry to have been so MIA. Sucks not to have had more work - I am sorry :( but I hope that your job works out. I would love to work with animals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and now it's my turn to catch up! Gone practically the whole month of August, I now have some serious catching up to do.

      ... I did get the gig. Have you opened your home daycare yet?

      Delete

I LOVE your feedback; give it to me, Baby. Uh-huh, uh-huh.