Thursday, October 13, 2016

A recipe I posted five years ago on the facebooks... updated?

with "saucy" topping
This recipe is cobbled together from three other recipes, as I was unable to find the exact instructions and ingredients that made sense for me.  The result is DELICIOUSNESS; your results may vary. ;)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1 ½ - 2 c. graham crackers                             1/3 c. packed brown sugar          
heaping ½ t. ground cinnamon                   1/3 – ½ c. unsalted butter, melted
In a bowl or blender or food processor, combine the graham cracker (crumbs), brown sugar, and cinnamon; add melted butter and mix well.  Press into the bottom of a 10-inch (or larger) springform pan.  You may find that your pan isn’t quite “non-stick” – if that is the case, grease lightly first.  Bake at 350 degrees for ten minutes; cool.

3 pkgs. (8 oz.) cream cheese or variant (I used one pkg. ea. light cream cheese, mascarpone cheese, and crème freche)
scant 1 c. sugar                                  4-6 eggs or equivalent liquid egg               1 c. coconut milk
½ - 1 t. vanilla extract                      up to 2 c. flaked coconut
Beat cream cheeses until smooth; add sugar, egg, coconut milk, vanilla, and coconut IN STAGES as your blender will allow.  If you have found UNSWEETENED coconut to use, you may care to not “scant” your cup of sugar.  As I don’t shop at Whole Paycheck, my coconut is always sweetened, so I short my sugar.  Pour mixture into pie crust; bake at 350 degrees for one hour, fifteen minutes (1:15 or :75).  Cool.

10 oz. lemon curd sauce (Trader Joe's has it…mmm)                        8 oz. heavy whipping cream
Depending on whether you want your sauce to be “saucy” or “fluffy”, blend these two ingredients and pour over baked cheesecake in this order:

“Saucy”
Curd in blender, liquefying, add whipping cream, blend until BLENDED; pour over cheesecake while it’s still kinda hot (remove cake from springform pan first).  This will ooze over the edges similar to a glaze.  This is how I did it on my first try, and as I said before, the result was DELICIOUSNESS.  MMM!

“Fluffy”
Whipping cream in blender, becoming “whipped”; add curd and blend until BLENDED.  It’s possible that once you’ve made whipped cream, the curd will be too heavy to blend, so you may have to fold it in instead.  Pour over COLD cheesecake, possibly still in springform pan.  Return to refrigerator; consume the next day or later.

FF to yesterday/today:
1 wrapped pkg within a box of graham crackers produces ~2c crumbs, FYI
I was MOS (mit out sugar {of the brown variety}) when I started this recipe yesterday, so the baking was to wait until today. I wrapped early from my day on set at The Bros, so I immediately un-refrigerated all of the cold ingrediments so I can get this DELICIOUSNESS baked and recipe posted by dinner-ish? Oh, thanks for reminding me to take the pizza dough out so it can rest long enough to bake for dinner-ish. ;)
I used two 8oz blocks of regular cream cheese and one 8oz tub of mascarpone on this one. DELICIOUSNESS (pre-bake, at least). Also, we finally found Bob's Red Mill unsweetened coconut flakes at Big Lots, but it's still sweet enough, if you're using 2c of it (which, of course, DUH, I did), so I still scanted my 1c sugar for the filling.
Planning on doing "fluffy" topping today, so there will be more pics again, so you can decide for yourself which version looks more appetizing for you to try. If you don't have access to a Trader Joe's for your lemon curd, um... sorry. It's just so good.

FINAL UPDATE (7:30-ish in the p.m.):
I have discovered that I am way too FOMO for "fluffy" topping. Well, I AM FOMO, but really, I'm just too impatient for "fluffy". And maybe I should have chilled the lemon curd prior to attempting to add it to my perfect whipped cream. I ended up with something between "fluffy" and "saucy". It's still gonna taste like DELICIOUSNESS, tomorrow. There WILL be "chill" time (blood) tonight! (Thank you, Inigo Montoya).
Also, no pizza for dinner tonight. Yeah, the dough had plenty of "rest" time, but the only other time I've used this oven so far yet, I baked pre-made Trader Joe's cinnamon rolls... on a pizza screen (because I hadn't yet found my baking pans)... and a lot of the goo dripped down onto the oven's bottom... and baking my cheesecake today generated what is probably a lethal cinnamon (i.e. "mustard") gas. I gotta clean the oven before I bake again (come with me), if I want to live.

Here are today's pics:
on the left is the largest mixing bowl I own; it was FULL

these bowls are from my childhood; when I use them, I remember Mommy

yes, I used All Four.
No, I coulda just used largest & smallest.
Yes, I did wash and dry them all.

Gratuitous 4-bowl shot
... for my Tweeps who asked,
because they ALSO have a set,
ALSO from their childhoods.
#BowlGeekery

Ta-Daaaaa! Ready to CHILL (not eat).
Yes, some of its edge stuck to the springform pan, which I DID "lightly grease".
Yes, I made sure the pan went into the dishwasher without food debris attached.
Shut up. This is a thing I made, so I get to eat what I clean.
(Yes, I licked all the bowls. Shut up, I said.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your feedback; give it to me, Baby. Uh-huh, uh-huh.