Friday, March 7, 2014

waking to gunfire and the dragging of bodies

Poppop  Pop ... POP!  Scrape, scrape, scrape...  twenty to thirty minutes later, repeat.  Starting around just-barely pre-dawn? and through to when we finally emerged from the warm cocoon of the bed.

No, we haven't relocated to a war zone or a slum.  We, like the rest of the Eastern Seaboard (of the US of A) had an ice storm last night.  What sounded like gunfire and bodies being dragged was simply the weight of the ice killing the local flora, namely tall trees without the protection of leaves or flowers.

I haven't got photos, but many of my "this side of the country" friends have posted the carnage on their Facebook walls.  Looking out my window right here, I've got giant green wizards bowing to an unseen superior.  It's all a bit disheartening.  Plus, we had a brief "brown-out" to warn us not to get too comfy.

Stephen says that once North Carolina understood that we are NOT here forever, and that we WILL be returning to California this year, "she" decided to give us one last winter we won't forget.  Like "missing winter" would ever be a reason to return!  HA!

***

I was about to post this when I looked out again, and the wizards were genuflecting.  These are thirty-foot evergreens I'm talking about, rocking violently.  That must be some serious wind.  So grateful I've got nowhere to be today.

2 comments:

  1. Holy crap! I saw that you had a winter storm warning but it only talked about freezing rain, sleet and snow. Then I saw your blog entry and looked back at the additional wind advisory where it talked about "northerly winds of 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph" and "an increased potential for gusty north winds to down trees or tree limbs due to saturated soil from ongoing heavy..." That's where the advisory ran out on my screen. I hope your trees are far enough away from your place that they won't actually cause you or your loved ones harm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're in an apartment/condo complex. The trees are all pretty far away. The neighbors are in houses, tho, and I've been seeing lots of "downed trees" pictures and "we might lose power" posts. The streets/driveways are very wet (and probably very slippery) and all of the rooftops and cars are white. Stephen has even opted NOT to check the mail.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your feedback; give it to me, Baby. Uh-huh, uh-huh.