Monday, March 30, 2015

OMG, y'all...

I didn't book any work for today (obvi) but also haven't booked any work for tomorrow, yet (altho I did submit myself for rush calls and will update my admin resume at the temp agency tomorrow if not otherwise engaged). So once Stephen headed off to work, I looked in the DVR queue for any movies he wants me to watch first.

I watched Maleficent and was left with a feeling that the story could have used a good trim before committing to film. Not that it wasn't interesting or well done; it just seemed like they wanted to tell too big of a piece of the puzzle.

Then I looked for the oldest thing in the queue, which happened to be The Book Thief. OMG, y'all. I cried my eyes out. The damn thing's set in Germany during WWI, and I cried my eyes out. I counted at least five places where they could have ended it, and I cried my eyes out.

I'm not saying it's a good film or well-made or anything like that. The story could have seriously used a tighter edit. But I cried my eyes out.

Now I gotta put sheets on the bed so I can sleep in it, 'cuz I'm about wasted.

4 comments:

  1. I adored Maleficent. I guess The Book Thief had better be soon. I just watched The Imitation Game. It was so worth every star it ever got from any place that rates movies. Holy crap. That was a great movie. I'm so glad you recommended it from the get go. I've also just recently watched Big Eyes. Fantastic stuff coming out of your industry these days. I'm so glad you're a part of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why I didn't love Maleficent. I may have been distracted by all the FX (like the angularity of her face kept pulling me out of the story), or maybe I didn't need so much of the backstory, or maybe it took too long for Aurora to grow up. I dunno. Tighter edit, I guess. (I did cry during Maleficent, too, tho).

      Yes, I love my industry, and I'm excited to jump back in. Have interest in Big Eyes but no plans to see it any time soon (still a bunch in the queue).

      Delete
  2. I loved Maleficent too! Elizabeth and I read The Book Thief and then our family watched the movie. I loved the book! I loved the movie! Yes, you have to cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was definitely a day of good crying.

      And as a "non-reader", I never read The Book Thief. I'm sure it's probably an even better cry!

      Delete

I LOVE your feedback; give it to me, Baby. Uh-huh, uh-huh.