Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Readin' and Writin' but no 'Rithmatic

All my life, I have proclaimed myself to be, and "owned" this statement: "I am not a reader."  When we were young, Mommy would take us to the library every Saturday to check out our allotted six books for the week.  My brother had a library card when he was three, because, not only could he read, but he could also print his name in the signature box on the card, which was probably 1/2" x 3".  So he'd check out six books aimed at Kindergarteners, and my older sister would check out six books that were not yet classified as YA, and I would find six comic-strip books.  We'd walk home and start reading before going back outside to play, and by the end of the week, I MIGHT have finished reading my six; my brother would have read his six plus my six; my sister would have read all eighteen (plus, possibly, anything Mommy had checked out, as well).  My sister was (and probably still is) a VORACIOUS reader.  That's okay.  She can "have" that.

As I got older and found myself in the entertainment world, either as an actor,  production assistant, or Script Supervisor, people would ask if I wanted to direct, or write.  The answer is "no" to both.  I don't call myself a "writer" because I don't have stories in my head, begging to be told. (Possible irony that I've become a blogger?  I dunno - I'll let you decide.)  I'm not a "director" because I don't have a vision for telling other people's stories, and that's ABSOLUTELY a requirement for someone who directs.  I'm happy to perform someone else's words, following someone else's vision, adding my own insight into the character, and that's what makes me an actor.  I'm happy to sit behind-the-scenes and take copious detailed notes so the editor can cut together the film that the director is hoping to show the audience, which makes me a good Script Supervisor.  I'm happy to do any job on any film or tv shoot that will pay me a reasonable wage, and that's what makes me a PA.  But I digress.  My point is that I don't consider myself a writer.

But I've been assigned a writing task.  I've been asked to write a living eulogy.  When Mommy died, I asked everyone who felt up to it to write one for her, and that was a beautiful thing, reading all of those very different perspectives at her services.  But this one?  A eulogy for a living person, a friend, to let that person know how you feel about him/her?  That's a toughy.  I mean, I get "WHY" - our loved ones should know how we feel about them before it's too late.

So I'm going to "cheat" a little and write mine about the person who assigned the task.

****

I have never met Kelly, but I feel a very strong connection with her, as if she might be a long-lost sister, adopted into my family by fate, as people are wont to be (in my family).  I discovered her via Jenny, whom I discovered via Wil, whom I had the great fortune of meeting in person at the bank one day (he doesn't remember it, I'm sure).  I'm not a reader, per se, but I get a lot out of reading these blogs, and Kelly's is no exception.  She speaks to me, on a deep level.

Kelly is just like anyone you could meet or relate to.  She's a triathlete, and a wife, and a mother, and she wonders how she'll get through her day, and she manages to do just that.  And she writes an insightful blog, and when folks comment, she replies TO EVERY ONE.  She has a self-deprecating sense of humour.  She appreciates the help she receives, even if she hasn't asked for help.  She's not afraid to ask for help when she needs it.  She LOVES her family.  She is kind to her friends.  She inspires those strangers she encounters, including those who find her through no fault of her own. 

I hope that Kelly will continue her blog.  I hope that she grows such a large audience that she will somehow not have time anymore to respond to every comment.  I hope that when she does reach that point, she will still be able to be a great wife and mother, and compete in the athletic competitions she loves, and connect with the friends she has collected, both familiar and "cyber".  I hope to get to meet her someday.

****

IMO, not great, as eulogies go.  Am I being too hard on myself?  I've always been better with numbers; let me find some math problems to solve!

2 comments:

  1. Well ... this made me cry. That's one of the nicest things anyone's ever done for me Emelle and I have no words xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not my intention to make you cry, Kelly! But I'm so glad to be able to give you a little something, after all you've already given me in this short time of "knowing" you.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE your feedback; give it to me, Baby. Uh-huh, uh-huh.