Sunday, February 14, 2016

Happy VD, everyone!

You may or may not know this about me, but I really loathe "Hallmark Holidays". Five years ago yesterday, I posted on Facebook how Stephen and I had wandered the greeting card section of Big Lots after taking a "nice weather" stroll in North Hollywood. What we did in the greeting card section of Big Lots was present each other with Valentine's Day cards so we wouldn't have to waste money actually buying "just the right one" to give each other on just another Hallmark Holiday.

Today, Stephen had the day off, so he did some laundry, wrote a bit, and puttered around the apartment a bit. I did not have the day off, so I went to work. Here's my Three Good Things for today, in no particular order:

  1. First tour - two different "sets" of guests refused to let me "politely decline" their offers of gratuity. Honestly, it had been so long since I'd gotten tipped that I'd almost forgotten it's even a possibility. So, I am a Money Magnet, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.
  2. During my lunch break after my second tour, I discovered that one of my guests on that one had taken the arbitrary points I assign (everyone who takes my tour gets arbitrary points; it's just my way of getting my guests involved in the tour) and tried to use them as a discount in the gift shop. "My tour guide emelle told me I had 'x' number of points I could 'spend' in the gift shop". I have a pretty good feeling I know which guest it was; there was one guest who never interacted in the tour at all, so I wasn't sure if she was paying attention at all or why she had even bothered to take the Warner Bros. tour in the first place. Apparently, she was paying attention when it came time to figure out if she personally had any points (which only came at the end, when I awarded the bonus points). What makes all this a Good Thing is when management asked me about my "promise of a retail discount" to a guest, my explanation was accepted as this one person who could actually take that clearly joking sentiment and try to turn it into some tangible reward. It was funny. It's Good. I've stopped suggesting that the points I award in any way have any possible meaning or value. Some people; sheesh.
  3. After I left work, I stopped at the convenience store where I buy my lottery tickets, to do just that, but also to check last week's tickets. I won thirteen bux! I am a Money Magnet, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. Sweet!
  4. My muscles were so sore today (after all the dancing yesterday), that my plan for my arrival at home was to have a long soak in a nice, hot bath. Stephen was watching the Star Trek reboot when I got home, though. No way was I not going to sit and watch it with him. Then we watched the Wrath of Khan reboot. I am grateful that JJ Abrams wanted to reboot tOS. I really like the new Kirk, Spock, et al. I'm happy to live in a multiverse where I can be a Trekkie who likes both tNG and tOS(redux). Yes, I am a Trekkie, not quite at the level of geek to call myself a Trekker. I never could handle the Original tOS. I like Shatner so much better, now that he's not Kirk.
  5. I temporarily gave up wine (and chocolate) more than a week ago. My "plan" is to see if I can abstain from all alcohol for a month, and then decide if I want to abstain longer. I bought a bottle of our favorite red table blend wine today, just in case Stephen wanted a glass because of today's date. Also, I bought some coconut macaroons instead of our regular dark chocolate peanut butter cups. So we had "dessert" without having to open the bottle. He hasn't opened it, and neither have I. This is a Good Thing.
All in all, a Good Day. And I am enjoying posting these, even as I enjoy not celebrating Hallmark Holidays. What about you? Do my Three Good Things posts inspire you to write down your own Three Good Things, or at least be aware of Good Stuff in you life? And how do you feel about Hallmark Holidays? Did you "celebrate" VD?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE your feedback; give it to me, Baby. Uh-huh, uh-huh.